Friday, April 16, 2010

Setbacks

It is gloriously beautiful today. Sun is shining, it's supposed to be in the mid to upper sixties. A PERFECT day to put the kids in the stroller and go on a walk. Or to get an early morning run in.

But guess what?

I can't. Why? Because I'm sitting here with my left ankle all taped up. Crutches by my side.

Yes, I sprained my ankle. I sprained it good.

I was running with 2 friends last night around our neighborhood. My next door neighbor came out of her house and while I was goofily waving and saying hi, I stepped on a good sized little rock and down I went.

Ridiculous. I can't even seem to run and talk at the same time.

My ankle swelled to the size of a small grapefruit and I really thought I was going to throw up from the pain. But luckily it happened right in front of my house so that Jeff could come out and give me aid. He is so chivalrous, let me tell you. That man has had to carry me, help me, watch over me so much with sprained ankles, feet, back problems. He is a saint. And I love him.


So here I am. 7 weeks til my first event. The one where I will need to run 12 miles.

You think it will happen? Neither do I.

My first instinct at times like these is sit on the couch and eat donuts. Which is exactly what I did after I sprained my foot in January. And which is exactly why I gained the 10 pounds back.

So I have a different perspective this time. This doesn't have to derail me. I can still eat well, and I will probably be back to speed walking within a week or two. I know from past experience (I have sprained this ankle twice before) that I will not be running for a while.

But I can walk. And lift weights and do pushups and crunches and all sorts of other exercises that will help me to be fit and get healthy.

Am I disappointed? You betcha. I sat and bawled for a good half an hour last night with my friends and family helplessly looking on.

Does this change my future plans? It sure does.

But I will not be defeated. Oh no. I refuse to let this change my goals or to kick me in the rearend mentally.

So I will be a good girl and keep my foot elevated, ice it and take anti-inflammatories. And then, when I can walk on it with no pain, I will be back at it.

You can count on it.

2 comments:

  1. running is of the devil. i testify of this.

    if you want to walk with me, i will figure out how to do it...usually i'm in my garage alone while my kids are "sleeping" at night (and doug is at work). but i'll leave them if it will save you from another ankle injury.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Contributors