Wednesday, April 21, 2010

First of all, I am sorry about yesterday. I promised a positive attitude, not a whiny one on this blog. I forgot myself for a moment and I'll try not to let it happen again. Thank you for the kind comments. It honestly helped and I am over it. Promise.

So after yesterday's depressing scale numbers, I really had to dig deep inside of me to not eat emotionally. I literally was not hungry, but I wanted a bowl of cereal. For no other reason than to comfort myself. And if I had given in, it wouldn't have stopped there. Chocolate covered granola bars would have been next and the whole thing would have snowballed out of control in no time. It was hard.

But I told myself (not outloud, it would just confirm to people I'm crazy) that my body didn't even want it, just my mind did. So I left the house with the 3 little ones in tow, and went and washed and cleaned out the car. It got my mind off of it for a little bit.

When we got back, I forced myself to eat a turkey burger, no bun, and a berry protein shake.

And you know what? I felt better. I really did.

The depression that had weighed on me all morning lifted, and I felt a rush of energy to get things done around the house.

I think that when I chose to nourish my body with good food, and to soothe my mind by staying busy and thinking of other things, that I overcame the despair that I felt this morning.

It also helped to have encouraging comments, thanks ladies!

So now that I am over my pity party, and staying positive that the water weight will be off next week, I will discuss, as promised, my favorite way to eat.

It's the Clean Eating Diet by Tosca Reno. She is a trainer, body builder who at the age of 40 went from being 80 pounds overweight, out of shape and unhealthy, to a cover girl for Oxygen magazine. The basic premise of eating clean is to clean out all the processed, sugary, and lacking in fiber foods from your diet. You eat all the lean meats you want, all the veggies and fruits you want, and then beans, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and whole grain breads and pastas make up the rest of it. She discusses having treats about once a month (you can probably sneak it in there once a week and be fine, she is SUPER disciplined) and she includes some great dessert recipes.

What I like about this is that I don't have to count any calories. I ate whatever I wanted from the list of all the good foods, and I never felt hungry. Honest. The first week was hard with no sweets, but I got to the point where an apple with natural peanut butter would satisfy a sweet craving. And I lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks doing this. Then I got pregnant, of course.

I stopped feeling depressed at all as my blood sugar leveled out, I had less aches and pains and I had a ton more energy. No more naps in the afternoon.

It can be hard at first, especially if you eat sweets when you're depressed, but really, my depression almost completely disappeared.

So this is now my go to way of eating. And this is the lifestyle I have chosen to adopt as my own. It is possible to feel completely satisfied, and I really feel so much better physically and mentally. I went to a party this weekend and there were cookies and brownies and chips. And I had none of it. I wanted it, I would be lying if I said otherwise, but when I wanted something sweet I had some strawberries. And the sweet craving went away.

Now would it have been bad to have a cookie or a brownie? Of course not. Moderation is key. But this is just what works best for me. Balaned meals of quality protein and complex carbs does something for my body that no other way of eating does. I lose weight faster, I am never hungry and I feel great.

And I have learned to have treats that aren't as bad for me. A crustless sugar free pumpkin pie is my favorite. You could eat a whole pie and still be fine. I have a cookie recipe that uses white beans instead of butter, and applesauce to replace some of the sugar, and even my kids like them. So there are other ways to have dessert.

If this all seems overwhelming, I apologize. I just know that this is probably the most attainable long term solution for me. I feel good on it. I never feel hungry, ever. I swear I'm not making it up. And it's easy to jump back on if I have an off day, or a treat.

So that's it. I do like hearing what works for others. So if you would like to share, lets hear it!

2 comments:

  1. Amy
    I just found your other secret blog! Who knew? I find your diet plan very interesting. I may just have to look that one up. Wish I could shed 20 lbs. I know I would feel so much better and be healthier.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You KNOW I love Tosca. And I think I just read she is 50 now!!!! She looks amazing for sure! Healthy. Healthy is GREAT word.... NOT sickly stick thin! WHO really wants to look like that? I am going for healthy, baby!!!!

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Contributors