Friday, December 9, 2011

Have you hugged your vegan today?

So, I've had some personal revelation concerning my diet. It has come about, not because of a desire to lose weight, but because of a desire to be healthy and well and to not hurt anymore. I want to ween myself off of the medication I'm on, and to feel whole.

With a lot of prayer, I came to the distinct feeling that I should eat a vegan diet. I know, right?!!! I initially was extremely nervous about such a thing, as I have been a dairy/meat eater my whole life. But after a priesthood blessing from Jeff, I felt strengthened and filled with the knowledge that this was the right direction for me, and that I would be successful and find relief from my pain. My desire to keep this private has kept me from telling anyone but Maile. But I felt safe here since only about 4 people read this, and I trust all of you.

Why would I keep this private? Oh, because of the many ideas people have about vegan stuff. It is tainted with ideas of hippies, animal rights activists, and such. I have no problem with animals being used as food. Or of the wearing of leather shoes. None of my decision to do this had to do with any of that. It is purely for health. So how has it been so far? Well, I am on day 7. And the first thing I noticed was that I can breathe through both of my nostrils freely. My left side has been slightly stuffy for years now. But around day 3 I noticed I could breathe through it even with the right side plugged. I used to joke to myself that I would suffocated if anyone clamped the right side of my nose shut. But no more!

As far as pain, it is too soon to tell. Plus I am still taking Cymbalta. But I feel that in a month I will have a better indication of what the outcome will be. It is important to say that I am also not eating processed sugar or grains either. It seems silly to omit animal products and to eat so many fruits and vegetables and legumes, only to put sugar on my cereal or have white bread for lunch.

And weight loss? I have no idea. I am not weighing myself yet. I am giving my body time to adjust to the changes. I can say that my clothes feel looser, but that may just be because of water at this point.

I feel sharper mentally, and I am not as tired. Those are some immediate benefits. Now I am not saying everyone should do this. I am only telling what I'm doing, and how it's making me feel. I do feel that it falls more in line with the Word of Wisdom, but that is my own feelings on it. Jeff doesn't necessarily agree with me on that point. And that is ok.

I am trying to get used to thinking of myself as a vegan. It is a weird thing, and I shy away from it still. But then I go back to the confirmation I had that this will be good for my body, and I again try and say, "I'm a vegan."

I don't want to say it's only been a week, things could change. I don't want it to change. Maybe I will say instead, that I try and stick mainly to a vegan diet. That feels better. Because I'm not vegan because of a moral viewpoint, so strictness is not really the goal. It's a general attitude towards healing my body and feeling better.

Ok, so what have I been eating? That's what Jeff wanted to know. Is it all salads? No way man.

For breakfast today I had a smoothie that had cherries, strawberries, bananas, celery, spinach and carrots. Henry, Nora and Anne Marie had it too and loved it. I have some sprouted grain toast with smart balance and raw honey on it. Super good!

For lunch yesterday I had a veggie pizza, minus cheese. Super yummy as well. It had sweet garlic and artichoke on it.

For dinner the night before I had  thai peanut tofu, and coconut jasmine rice. I made it at home. Yummy!

I've also made eggplant parmesan, minus the parmesan. That was not a hit with the family. I still am learning, so my eggplant was underdone. But it will get better.

People wonder about protein. Well, beans and tofu have protein, but so do fruits and vegetables. If you eat enough of them you don't need a lot of extra protein. If all I ate was bread and cereal every day, then yes I might be missing some protein. But I have whole grain wraps with wild rice and beans and lots of veggies on them. And they're good!

I actually haven't had one salad by itself for a meal yet. I've had it as a side. But I really don't feel that I'm missing out on anything. I even made cookies. Some of my kids liked them, and some prefer not to have pureed beans in place of their butter. But that's ok. I will still make them regular cookies and dinners. I'm not forcing this on my family either. If they want what I'm eating, then I will happily share.

Anyway, that is it. I have had quite a journey in my adulthood at finding a balance with food in my life. This feels the closest to ideal for me of anything I've tried. I've never loved meat. I've eaten it, but in the past 10 years, mostly out of guilt because I was told I should have certain amounts of protein. I like chicken or hamburger occasionally, but I didn't start to eat meat on even a weekly basis until I married Jeff. Growing up we had meat with every meal, but once I started cooking for myself, I ate primarily baked potatoes and salads for dinner. So this feels like me. Even Tosca Reno's eat clean diet has a vegan section. So woohoo! Cuz I do love that gal!

I even hesitate to push publish on this one because I know how I am occasionally viewed. I view myself like that as well. And what is that? Oh, changes her mind, always trying something else, likes new fads, jumps on any ol' bandwagon, always looking for the next thing with food. And that has been true, when it was all about losing weight. But that is not the case currently. Yes, losing weight will be a nice bonus, but I really want freedom from painful elbows, a stiff neck, sore lower back, CONSTANTLY sore/hurting shoulder, achy quads, and knee pain. I have arthritis. I don't know what kind, but I know that it has progressively been getting worse, and unless I want to not be able to walk in 20 years, or to be on a daily regimine of prescription pills, then I have to change what I'm eating.

So there you go. I am Amy, and I try to stick to a mainly vegan diet. The end.

1 comment:

  1. I love this and totally forgot about this blog! I want to know more! The word "vegan" is so intimidating to me I am afraid to start but everything you said sounds just up my alley.... I love nuts and protein that's not MEAT! I joked that I grew Norah on trail mix but really i did. (I know it's not the same thing but hoping you get what I'm saying) Where did you look to start?? can you email me??
    This is Janet(who forgot her password) by the way :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Contributors