Tuesday, January 3, 2012

One month

It's been a month. A month without meat. A month without cheeseballs, lasagna, and all sorts of good things. And I feel good. I wasn't sure that the vegan diet was doing that much until I ate some dairy last Thursday. I had two cupcakes with buttercream frosting, and then I had cheese pizza for dinner. I don't know why. I think I just wanted to test and see if anything would happen. Well, IT DID! I was so sick Thursday night. Sick to my stomach. Feeling bloated and awful. Then Friday, I hurt so bad. Much worse than normal. And I hurt everywhere. It was not fun. But it was good for me to see what a difference dairy makes. I have not hurt that bad since I started eating mainly vegan. It was quite shocking actually. It goes to show that HEavenly Father knows the answers to all my questions, dilemmas, problems, etc. If I will just listen to the promptings he gives me, and follow them, I will be blessed. And I have been. I just didn't realize how much until I fell off the vegan wagon for a day.

But now I need to take it a step further and follow the other part of my answer to prayer., And that is sugar. I know, right? Sugar is the lifeblood of this gal. I love it, crave it, and rationalize it all the time. But I decided that I am leaving white sugar behind in 2011. 2012 is a sugar free year for me. I will have maple syrup, honey and agave, which I know are types of sugar, but they're natural, and I can't put them in a chocolate chip cookie. And I don't think maple syrup on top of a chocolate cake would do it for me. So a little agave in my smoothie, some raw honey on a piece of bread made from wheat I grind myself, and maple syrup on whole wheat pancakes occasionally, will be ok. But I'm nervous. I asked Jeff if he thought I could go without white sugar for a whole year, and he laughed.

I know. I understand his scepticism. I love treats. It does help that so many have butter and eggs, so I couldn't eat them anyway. I will let you know how this all goes. It would seem to many that I have taken the fun out of eating. But I look at it more like, I have found a way to help my body feel it's best and not hurt. And believe me, that is worth way more than a cupcake or or piece of cheese pizza.

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. I think you are learning to eat to live, instead of living to eat. Something that I have been battling to change as well. It does take the fun out of eating. Who said eating was supposed to be fun? It's supposed to sustain us - not rule us. As it has for me for so long. You're doing great. Wait to feel no sugar for a long time, you're going to love it! Good luck. Love you. p.s. ever tried Stevia? Not a bad choice for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I'm so glad you're feeling so much better. Some members of Ben's family have recently gone gluten free for similar health reasons and I was just in awe over Christmas break at how they could do it... especially during the holidays. Making a major change to your diet is hugely brave in my eyes, and I love reading about it here because you are so real about it all. Ben and I have been seriously considering making some changes to our diets, but its genuinely scary to me because I'm so attached to food. Keep on inspiring me sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing and you are so strong!! So not sure if i could do that. The very idea almost puts me in a panic! YOU ARE AWESOME!!

    -Janet

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Contributors